Transoft Solutions, developers of industry leading software for the transportation engineering community, has just launched TORUS Roundabouts version 4.0. With the patented Vehicle Envelope Method and the new Vehicle Sensitive Design abilities that use vehicle swept paths to model and customize the geometry, engineers and planners can simultaneously plan, design, and analyze different roundabout configurations. Platform compatibility has also been extended to fully accommodate Autodesk® AutoCAD® Civil 3D® objects such as horizontal alignments, vertical profiles and top surfaces which can now be generated and dynamically updated with the TORUS roundabout grading model.
Jarvis Autey, EIT for the Product Management team at Transoft Solutions commented on the latest version of TORUS Roundabouts, "Based on user feedback and recommendations, we've integrated TORUS with AutoCAD Civil 3D. This means designers are able to automatically create alignments and surfaces and update them using the TORUS grading model making it a much more optimized software package in this CAD platform. Another key feature we've added is the ability to create custom geometry using our newly introduced Vehicle Sensitive Design approach."
To further explain the Vehicle Sensitive Design concept, Jarvis has this to say, "This new approach uses our patented Vehicle Envelope Method to create custom geometry using the movements of design vehicles. Using this, users are able to create custom truck aprons both on the central island as well as on the outer edges of the roundabout. TORUS users will also be able to create non-circular or extended central islands that can help guide vehicles into the proper circulating lanes. Again, this builds upon the overall functionality of TORUS and our commitment to provide the best in engineering software to our clients."
Summary of Features and Compatibility for TORUS Roundabouts Version 4.0
- Vehicle Sensitive Designing – ability to customize key roundabout features (truck apron shape and outer edges) to accommodate vehicle maneuvers
- Extended central island generation using vehicle movement to guide vehicles into lanes
- Specialized / Oversized vehicle movement used in the creation of roundabout geometry
- Circulating lane change intelligence handling complex multilane roundabouts
- Grading model support for dynamic integration (generation and updating) of AutoCAD® Civil 3D® horizontal alignments, vertical profiles, corridors, and top surfaces
- Design guidelines from FHWA 2010 and AUSTROADS 2009
- Compatibility with Autodesk® AutoCAD® 2013, Autodesk® AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2013, and Bentley® MicroStation® V8 XM and V8i
For more information on the new TORUS Roundabouts 4.0 version release, please visit www.transoftsolutions.com/torusand register for an online presentation.